Who Should See an Interventional Pain Specialist?

Chronic pain can be debilitating, making it challenging to go about your day-to-day life. If medication and other treatments haven’t been successful in reducing your pain, an interventional pain specialist in Eugene, OR, may be able to help. This doctor has specialized training in diagnosing and treating chronic pain with various techniques, including injections and nerve blocks. Here are indicators that you need help from an interventional pain specialist in Eugene, OR.


Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis, affecting millions of people in the U.S. It is a degenerative joint disease that causes pain and loss of joint function. Osteoarthritis can occur in any joint in the body, but it most commonly affects the hands, knees, hips, and spine. Symptoms of osteoarthritis include joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and reduced range of motion.

There is no cure for osteoarthritis, but many treatments can help relieve symptoms. These treatments include medications, physical therapy, and surgery. If you are experiencing symptoms of osteoarthritis, see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment recommendations.


Bursitis is inflammation of the fluid-filled sacs that cushion the joints. When bursae develop tiny tears or become clogged with inflammatory cells, it can cause pain and stiffness in the affected joint. 

The most common type of bursitis is known as “heel pain” (also called plantar fasciitis.) This painful condition causes inflammation at the bottom of the foot, where a pad of fat and connective tissue known as the plantar fascia supports your arch. Other types of bursitis include knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, and wrist bursitis.

Treatments to reduce swelling and pain from bursitis include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), corticosteroid injections, and physical therapy. If these treatments don’t help relieve your pain, see your doctor for further diagnosis.

Degenerative Disc Disease

Degenerative disc disease is one of the most common causes of lower back pain. Over time, normal wear and tear on the spinal discs can lead to deterioration and possible damage to a spinal disc. When a spinal disc bulges or ruptures, it places pressure on nearby nerves. 

If you have degenerative disc disease caused by arthritis, you may experience pain, numbness, or weakness in the legs. Other symptoms include muscle spasms, cramps, and damage to the nerves that travel out of your spine.

Facet Joint Syndrome

Facet joints are located in the spine where the vertebrae meet. They help maintain the stability of the spinal column and allow us to move. When facet joints become inflamed, they can cause radiating pain, stiffness, or tenderness in your upper or lower back. The condition is known as facet joint syndrome.

If you have chronic lower back pain that isn’t relieved by rest or medications, see your doctor to diagnose facet joint syndrome.

Spinal Stenosis

Spinal stenosis is a condition that happens when spinal discs start to collapse, and the spine becomes narrow. If the spinal canal gets too little, it can pressure nerves traveling out of your spine. Over time, this pressure can cause pain, numbness, weakness in your legs or arms, and difficulty with bladder control.

If you seek relief from chronic pain that is not alleviated by traditional treatments, an interventional pain specialist may help. These doctors have specialized training in diagnosing and treating chronic pain with various techniques, including injections and nerve blocks. An interventional pain specialist should be your target if you have medical concerns such as osteoarthritis, bursitis, and spinal stenosis.