Insomnia is a sleeping problem, and zopiclone is considered a fast meds uk for medication. Zopiclone is a sleeping tablet that belongs to drugs called non-benzodiazepine hypnotics. The drug has a different structure from benzodiazepine sedative-hypnotics, such as Halcion, with similar benefits and side effects.
Benefits of zopiclone
There are several benefits a zopiclone can provide to the users, here are:
- It helps reduce the time it takes to fall asleep or sleep latency
- It increases the time you sleep or sleep duration
- It decreases the number of times waking up at night or nocturnal awakening
Zopiclone starts to work fast and takes about an hour to function. Zopiclone will work by binding to a receptor in the brain called the GABAA (gamma-aminobutyric acid type A) receptor and enhancing the action of GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid), a chemical messenger with a calming effect. The zopiclone sleeping tablets became available in the 80s and were approved for use in many parts of the world.
Where to use the zopiclone sleeping tablet?
Zopiclone is used in the short-term treatment of insomnia in adults. The drug can also be used to treat adults with sleep problems, such as:
- Difficulty of falling asleep
- Waking up at midnight
- Waking up too early
- Severe or upsetting sleep problems caused by mental health problems and mood
Zopiclone is not suggested for long-term use for chronic insomnia because it causes dependence and tolerance, which leads to withdrawal and rebound insomnia if the medication is stopped suddenly. Long-term use is considered an off-label or unapproved use of the Zopiclone sleeping tablet.
Proper dosage of zopiclone
- Adults are recommended to use one zopiclone 7.5mg tablet before bedtime.
- For the elderly, 65 and above, the usual starting dose must be one zopiclone at low strength or half-full strength.
- People with liver or kidney problems. The recommended dose for people with kidney and liver problems is one zopiclone at low-strength or half-full strength tablet.
- For children and adolescents. Zopiclone is used in children and adolescents at age less than 18 years old.
What happens when missing a dose?
If you forget to take your dose of zopiclone by bedtime, just skip the missed dose and take the next dose at the usual time the next night. Never take 2 doses of the recommendation at the same time. Don’t take an extra dose to make up for the forgotten one.
What happens when taking too much zopiclone?
Taking more than your prescribed dose of the tablet can be risky. You may get symptoms, including:
- Feeling confused and drowsy
- Feeling dizzy and light-headed
- Floppy muscles
- Difficulty breathing or shallow breathing
- Losing or falling over your balance
Never take it too much. You may take more than the prescribed dose of zopiclone, which can be risky. You can get symptoms, including:
- Sleeping deeply
- Possibly going into a coma
Any drug can cause serious health issues when taken too much or overdosing. So, to avoid overdose issues, it is good to ensure that you follow the proper dosing and instructions on how to take the tablet.